Pages

Thursday 6 August 2015

What Makes A Good Book Cover | Guest Post


 
Hi! My name is Rachel and I blog about books over at Rambling Reads. I’m also Emma at Chapter Squash’s sister and the reason she even considered blogging. Today , I’m guest posting over here to talk about book covers and what makes them brilliant or terrible.
 
 
Everyone knows the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover." but it's almost impossible not to. When you're looking for a new book in a book shop , the cover is what will make you pick the book up because it's impossible to read every single blurb.

What catches my eye?


Colours. I always pick up the bright books before everything else if I'm looking for anything light hearted. Great examples of this are Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Remix by Non Pratt. Even with high fantasy , I like colours that catch your eye. If a book is black with a white font , I most likely will not choose it. If a cover is dark , there should be more to it than just black , like light shining in or designs. The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare have darker coloured spines that still catch your eye because of the bits of brightness in them.

 
 
 Another thing that has a huge impact is the images. Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill has the black and white colour combo that I just shamed above , but what makes it special? Well , the huge Barbie doll of course! What is a Barbie doing on a dark book? In many cases , the book has already been bought at that point. It grabs your attention as soon as you spot it!
 
 
 
 
My least favourite covers?
 
Usually , they have actual faces on the front of them. For example , Jennifer L Armentrout books always seem really terrible to me , despite how amazing her books are. It says nothing about the story and it's really unfortunate.
 
 
 
 
What do you think makes a good cover? Do you have any favourites or least favourites? Comment below!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment